Wednesday, August 12, 2009

lemon and honey


A week ago today at this very time we were driving my Mom back to the airport. She was with us for a week and a half. I had such a special time with her. We shopped, we gardened (kinda), we had coffee (well tea) and lunches, we supervised painting, and went on beach visits. But most special to me where the many heart to heart, mother daughter chats we had. I feel like we caught up on the last 5 years. The last few years after moving to Canada have been tough, especially for my parents, and I feel like my Mom and I lived on Parallel lines for a lot of the time. This trip our lines came together again and it made my heart happy. And then sad to say good bye again. I have come to realise that as much as I love visits and visitors, I still don't like the goodbyes, and I have also come to realise that there are a lot of goodbyes in life. Goodbyes are like lemons. My Mom has lemon and honey every morning, it is her morning drink. Whenever she visits there is always a lemon sitting on a saucer near our kettle. Honey is a good pairing for lemons. Just like thankfulness is a good pairing for goodbyes. Being thankful for the memories created, and the memories yet to be made, has carried me through many a heart wrenching goodbye. So my new motto is: when life hands you lemons, add honey.
Thanks for the visit Mom.

No comments: