Thursday, August 21, 2008

Nostalgic for Africa


This morning I was just going about my daily routine of getting ready for work, taking out the trash, watering the flowers, locking up the cottage, when I heard a dove coo. That single sound crumbled my insides and made me so homesick for South Africa. That is one of the sounds of Africa for me, and here it was taunting me from its perch in little Ripon town, California. I was just minding my own business, doing my life, here, in California, and then Africa calls and tugs at my heart again. Its left me in a state of nostalgia, random images and memories of "my" Africa keep popping into my mind. Sometimes it feels so far way, physically and "emotionally", and then a single coo can bring it back in an instant colliding into my new life here, I still feel far away, that truth is just more present in my mind. I am all too aware of the part of me that is missing because I left it behind in Africa, where it will probably always remain, a part of me apart from me.

2 comments:

Brad said...

Hey Pips!!!! Once again a great read!! So how about 'popping' over to take some photos on 31 Jan 09??
Take care!! Love Jenny

An American in Pretoria said...

Dear Pips,

This morning (in the wee early hours), our neighbour's house alarm went off. Just as it was turned off and I was drifting off back to sleep, it went off again. This happened six times. Then, at around 5 this morning, the hadedas woke me up. I left the house at 6:45 to take the kids to school, was a bit groggy, but once again South Africa blessed me with an amazing sunrise. If you ever make your way back, we have a guest room with your name on it! Lots of love, Angela